Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Why didn't you help me?

This incident happened 2 hours ago near my house - Taman Mawar, Puchong. 

It was another typical day afterI played basketball and was walking back home soaked with sweat. As I was reaching this particular dark and gloomy junction due to a malfunctioned streetlight, I noticed 2 motorcycles each with a passager on their bikes. Which made a total of 4 guys. At the same time, there were an aunty walking 10 meters in front of me, away from there. 

Deep in my heart, I could sense God telling me to be alert. My mind went on full alert mode on what should I do if those guys charge towards me. They were 20 meters away as I approach them. I came up with 2 options, I could run the opposite direction, and jump across a drained onto a higher platform which was near me or I could just dash straight away leaning left from them as they charge to me on my right. My mind was ready to fight or flight in any point of time as I really sense strongly that something is going to happen. 

As I held the keys closely in my fist, one of them scolded me in Bahasa Malaysia saying :"Oi pundek, balik rumah la". I wanted to reply, but it just seem silly to provoke them. I quickly walked pass them and a sense of peace and relieve feeling I had in me. I was thank God in my heart. 

After split seconds, I heard their motorbike rafting towards me. A strong adrenaline gush filled my body and as soon as I turn to look. They weren't targeting me but the aunty who was walking ahead of me few seconds ago and was now behind me. Dogs started running away from me. The aunty in her late 60's screamed and yelled for helped with all her might.  It was a solid 10 seconds of stun. My whole body weren't able to move and my thought were all screwed up. I wanted to run and help her, but there were 4 guys armed with helmets on their hands. 

It was selfish of me to think of my own safety first. I really wanted to help her, but my head keep thinking is there any other way. When I ran towards them, the aunty was robbed. Her handbag was snatched away. She was extremely nervous and so was I. The whole scene was chaotic. Neighbours started coming out of their house to see what is the whole noise all about. The aunty asked me, why didn't you help me?  My heart sanked and I was utterly speechless. I knew whatever answer I give her will be an excuse. 

I would really want to apologize for my selfishness and the inability to make quick decisive decision to help that aunty. For those who read my story, most will come with 2 conclusion. 

1) What a selfish guy who don't even offer help and instead stood and watch. or

2) Aiyar, what could he possibly do? There's 4 guys there armed with helmets. There's absolutely no reason to help as it would endanger his life. 

I was a guy who is category number 1. Thinking why people always stand or even ignore all these sence. I was have a childlike, hero complex mindset that ever this incident happen in front of me. I'll punch like Bruce Lee, and save the day like Batman. Like what we see in movies. But it's the opposite of what I thought when it really happen in front of me.

For those who agree with point number 2, what if that was your mom, sister, relative, or best friend? Or better still, you. You are the victim, and everyone else stand and wave. Stood there like they were singing our national anthem. Would you feel angry, sad, and disappointed that no one even tried to help. To just at least help shout, or scare them away. 

I discerned that they were ready to rob her, but because of my presence, they were distracted and disturbed. That's why one of them ask me to "balik la". Right after I had a good distance away from the aunty, they went to rob her. 

Some typical tips,
  • ladies, and also guys, please don't use your handphones or hold your handbags around an open area, especially dark, isolated areas.
  • Always be on alert, don't take things for granted. If you ever be a victim, don't fight back. You could save your belonging, but risk losing your life. 
  • And most importantly, always pray for your safety and the safety of others. 

Anyway, I'm just here to share my thoughts. That we shouldn't live in a world that is about me, I and myself. 

We ought to love our neighbour, friends, family, and even strangers, as we love ourself. (Matthew 22:39). If we, humans, could come to have this mindset and act it out. This world, could really be a better place. 

All in all, I thank God that she was not majorly hurt. And also, I would really like to apologize for doing absolutely nothing. I'm really sorry aunty. From the bottom of my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment